Friday, December 6, 2013

Pt. VI - Community Service

To be honest, community service isn't something I really think about or seek out.  I've done a fair amount of it over the years, but to say any of it was done for the purpose of acting philanthropic would be a lie.  The experiences more or less presented themselves, and I chose to participate because I assumed they would be enjoyable.  I like working with students, so I volunteered as a tutor.  I like soccer, so I volunteered to coach a youth soccer team.  I like writing, so I volunteered at Chicago's 826 center.  Perhaps my view seems a bit self-interested, but unless you're forced in to giving back by sheer moral principle, then community service is going to be self-serving on some level.  Service should feel organic in my opinion.  I like the idea that doing right feels natural.

That being said, there's no reason I can't think about what community service experiences I'd like to have in 2014.  Here are a few that come to mind:

-Bringing music to those who cannot go out and listen.  A friend of mine used to go and play at the local retirement home when we were in college.  I see this act of service as being mutually beneficial.  I enjoying performing with my guitar, and I could definitely use the practice.

-Community workshops.  I haven't looked into this yet, but if there is some sort of program that offers free workshops to the community, I would enjoy doing one about writing or playing guitar.  I've done similar things in the past and enjoyed the interaction as well as the personal challenge of effectively passing on my skills or understanding to a group of people. 

-Coaching.  I have experience coaching youth soccer teams, and this being a World Cup year, I know it will bring out the competitor in me.  Or maybe that's a bad thing...

-Any new experience.  I'm almost always up for trying something new and meeting new people.  Perhaps this is the year to explore a different type of service.  

This post is part of Think Kit by Small Box
Today's post was: "A little community service..." 

1 comment:

  1. I don't know much about it, but there is a service called Trade School Indy. http://www.tradeschool.coop/Indianapolis/class

    Good post, Gerard. Made me think (which is the point of the challenge, right?)

    ReplyDelete